COVID-19 Update: Beaird Harris has shifted a significant number of our team members to work remotely.
We continue to serve and care for our clients, just as we always have, and are available by phone, video or email.
Beaird Harris will be closed on Friday, July 3rd in observance of the Independence Day holiday.
1. Health emergencies and long-term care. When a simple procedure could cost thousands, health care costs can put a huge dent in your plan. Long-term care can also cost thousands per month. Have you planned for this? If your health insurance is not adequate you may need to pull money out of your retirement accounts to pay the bills. While this withdrawal may not be subject to a penalty, it might be subject to income tax if the funds are from a pre-tax account.
Tip: Look into creative ways to enhance your health insurance coverage including supplemental health insurance and prescription drug cost coverage. Consider long-term care insurance and other alternative ways to reduce your potential living needs.
2. Taxability of Social Security benefits. If you have excess earnings, your Social Security benefits could be reduced. Even worse, if you are still working, your benefits could be subject to income tax.
Tip: If this impacts you, consider conducting a tax planning session to better understand your options including the possibility of delaying the receipt of Social Security benefits.
3. Your pension plan. Understand if your pension is in good financial health. Pensions will often offer a lump-sum payout option for you. Should you take it?
Tip: Review your pension plan’s annual statement. How solid is it? If there are risks, consider cash out alternatives and planning for the potential drop in future income.
4. Minimum required distributions. Forgot to take your minimum required distribution from your retirement plans this year? No worries, as it is not required in 2020. The tax bite, however, could be quite a surprise in future years as the penalty on the amount not withdrawn is 50%!
Tip: Select a memorable date (like your birthday) to review your distribution and take action so this tax surprise does not impact you.
5. Future tax rates. The federal government is spending over $1 trillion more than it brings in each year. Cash starved states are looking for new tax revenue. Don’t be surprised when future tax rates continue to rise during your retirement.
If you’re newly retired or planning to retire soon, contact your Beaird Harris advisor to put a plan in place to help avoid these types of tax surprises.
No Professional Advice, Client Relationship, or Reliance on Information
Please note that any information or content on our Website, or any forms or tools on our Website which allow you to submit information or make calculations, and your use thereof, are not intended to provide any kind of professional advice, consultation or service, including but not limited to, legal, accounting, tax, or business advice. Nor does any such information, content, forms, or tools, or your use thereof or reliance thereon, create or constitute an attorney/client, accountant/client, or consultant/client relationship. You should therefore not use our Website or reliance on any information, content, forms, or tools on our Website as a substitute for any kind of professional advice. Rather, you should consult with a licensed professional, including one employed by our Company, for any accounting or tax questions you may have. You agree that we will not be liable to you or to any third party to the extent you treat or consider any information, content, forms, or tools on our Website as constituting any kind of professional advice. The information and content, including but not limited to forms and tools, presented on or made available through our Website are made available solely for general information purposes. We, therefore, do not warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any such information, content, forms, or tools, and any reliance you place on the same is strictly at your own risk. We disclaim all liability and responsibility arising from any reliance placed on such materials by you or any other visitor to our Website, or by anyone who may be informed of any of its content.
Our Website provides illustrative lists of services that we provide. Nothing contained on our Website shall be construed as an offer or guarantee to provide any particular services to you, nor shall anything on our Website be construed as a direct solicitation for employment by any persons, companies, or organizations. Prior results we have obtained for others do not guarantee a similar outcome.
We’ll help you get started and learn more about Beaird Harris.